Tuesday, December 7, 2010

A Better Postseason

The new BCS rankings came out this week as well as the bowls. As I contemplated the bowl selections I could not help but get frustrated at the corruptiveness of the postseason in college football today. If many of you are not aware, there is no playoff in college football. Instead, the Bowl Championship Series uses a matter of opinion and computers to determine who the best team in college football is. It all depends on who you play and when you play. They do not let the best teams settle it on the field. Take Michigan State for example. Michigan State went 11-1 this season, and isn't even playing in a BCS game. Instead, Wisconsin and Ohio State will go. Michigan State beat Wisconsin during the season, and didn't play Ohio State, but Wisconsin beat Ohio State. In my opinion, I think Michigan State is more deserving of the bowl bid.

Boise State was also on the wrong end of the deal. Yes, yes I know that they lost to Nevada in overtime. I know that they aren't perfect, but I KNOW that they are better than 8-4 Connecticut. The have PROVEN that they are better than ACC champ Virginia Tech, but because the way this system is set up, those two teams will get millions of dollars while Boise State is stuck beating up on an overrated Utah team in the Las Vegas bowl.

People who read my blog know that I'm a huge fan of a 16-team playoff. If you've read the book Death to the BCS they use the same exact playoff format. Each conference champion deserves a bid, and five at large teams are selected by a selection committee. Then each team will be reseeded. So here I am showing what the playoff would look like. Most of these first round mathups would provide some exciting stories and make for some really exciting games.

#1 Auburn (SEC Champ) vs. #16 Florida International (Sun Belt Champ)

#2 Oregon (Pac-10 Champ) vs. #15 Miami (OH) (MAC Champ)

#3 TCU (Mountain West Champ) vs. #14 Connecticut (Big East Champ)

* A matchup where the Big East champ will be tested by it's soon-to-be newest member.

#4 Stanford (At Large) vs. #13 UCF (Conf. USA Champ)

#5 Wisconsin (Big Ten Champ) vs. #12 Virginia Tech (ACC Champ)

#6 Ohio State (At Large) vs. #11 LSU (At Large)

* A rematch of the 2008 National Championship game where LSU beat Ohio State

#7 Oklahoma (Big 12 Champ) vs. #10 Boise State (WAC Champ)

* A rematch of the historic 2007 Fiesta Bowl that put Boise State on the map in college football

#8 Arkansas (At Large) vs. #9 Michigan State (At Large)

You can't tell me that these matchups wouldn't make you want to watch college football more. I one day dream of the time when a playoff system like this might work out. I guess until now I'll have to stick with the Papajohns.com bowl, and the clorox toilet cleaner bowl.

1 comment:

Dani said...

they don't really have a papajohns.com bowl do they? I agree with you Sammy, it's a dumb system.